The Gator™ XUV Crossover Series Utility Vehicle has a precision-engineered drivetrain system that fully utilizes engine power, optimizing acceleration, hauling, towing, and hill-climbing capabilities. Power is transmitted from the engine through a continuously-variable clutch system to the transaxle.
Key elements of the drive system include:
The variable-speed drive consists of two clutches and a drive belt:
- Drive clutch is attached to the engine.
- Driven clutch is attached to the transaxle.
- The engine braking system utilizes a tight belt for operation, requiring an idler sleeve on the primary clutch for neutral. The secondary clutch is a new build-on-shaft design that utilizes a cam to tune the acceleration and deceleration of the vehicle. The clutch will stay engaged, providing deceleration until approximately 5 km/h (3 mph).
- The continuously variable transmission (CVT) air intake draws in 50 percent more air versus previous designs to reduce heat and the amount of water ingestion into the CVT system. The system will reduce belt slippage and improve durability.
- A low- and high-speed forward gear offering:
- Low range is 0 km/h to 43 km/h (0 mph to 27 mph), XUV825 and XUV825M S4
- Low range is 0 km/h to 24 km/h (0 mph to 15 mph), XUV855 and XUV855M S4
- High range is 0 km/h to 71 km/h (0 mph to 44 mph), XUV825 and XUV825M S4
- High range is 0 km/h to 51 km/h (0 mph to 32 mph), XUV855 and XUV855M S4
- Ability to creep along slowly to maneuver in tight spaces
- Standard full-clutch enclosure with high speed fan provides longer belt and clutch life
- High-ratio clutches with three cam weights for maximum belt clamp load in high-torque conditions
- Powertrain reduction ratios:
- The complete reduction ratios range for high gear is 8.6:1 at top speed and 42:1 at initial clutch engagement. This varies between the vehicles listed above.
- The complete reduction ratios range for low gear is 17.9:1 at top speed and 86.8:1 at initial clutch engagement. This varies between the vehicles listed above.
NOTE: Delivery and torque to the ground depends on tire size, which is a function of nominal size and pressure.
How the variable-speed drive works:
- As engine speed increases, the spring-loaded drive clutch is closed by weights being forced out by centrifugal force.
- As the drive clutch closes, the belt rides up to the largest diameter of the drive clutch and forces open the driven clutch.
- With the belt running in the smallest diameter of the driven clutch, the speed being transferred to the transaxle is increased.
- The driven clutch is designed to sense varying loads (inclines, mud, etc.) and constantly adjusts drive speed upward or downward so that engine rpm remains optimal.
TRANSAXLE, MECHANICAL FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE (MFWD), AND CONSTANT-VELOCITY (CV) SHAFTS
On-demand true four-wheel drive (4WD) system with an auto-locking front differential and dash-mounted electronic rocker switch is best in class; when the rocker switch is in the on 4WD position, the front differential will automatically lock for extra traction when needed, but when the rocker switch is in the off two-wheel drive (2WD) position, the vehicle will remain in 2WD
Provides exceptional traction in challenging conditions
Maintains turf-friendly operation in 2WD mode
Illuminated for visibility in low-light conditions
Two-speed, fully-enclosed, oil bath transaxle allows for superior pulling ability
Cast-aluminum design is the most robust in the industry
Helical forward and reverse gears are used for quiet operation
Rear traction assist (differential lock) is built in and can be engaged on demand
Allows locking the rear drive wheels together
Provides increased traction in tough spots
NOTE: Differential design reduces scuffing of the turf during turns because it allows the inside wheels to turn slower than the outside wheels
Neutral start safety interlock for engine ignition system
Large, sealed bearings are located inside the housing for better protection and durability
Contains gear case for transferring power to the MFWD
Splined shaft interfaces for maximum torque transfer and durability
All drive gears machined from highest grade gear steel
Protected by a skid plate
Rear CV shaft diameter measures 27 mm (1.1 in.) and designed for peak engine and braking torque
Front CV shaft diameter measures 23.9 mm (0.94 in.) and designed for peak engine torque
Propshaft (transaxle to MFWD shaft) diameter measures 23 mm (0.91 in.) and designed for peak engine torque
All CV shaft and propshaft joints are maintenance free and protected by exclusive Neoprene boots for durability
Extra-durable deluxe cargo box ensures hard-working performance and longevity
The deluxe cargo box consists of a 15 percent glass-filled polypropylene composite material that eliminates rust, dents, and reduces noise.
DELUXE CARGO BOX TAILGATE
The tailgate can be opened or removed for easier cleanout and to carry longer items. The tailgate has been improved, features truck-like performance, and can be operated with one hand.
The standard-installed lanyards can also be removed to lower the tailgate to 150 degrees for convenient loading and unloading tasks.
DELUXE CARGO BOX TILT
The deluxe cargo box is easier to latch, unlatch, raise, and lower with the integrated handle design and gas assist.
A prop rod is provided to hold the box in the upright position for operator convenience, as well as to limit box pivot travel.
INTEGRATED TIE-DOWN POINTS
The deluxe cargo box offers integrated tie-down points for increased versatility. Tie-down points are located in the following areas:
- Four corners inside the cargo box bed
- Four points on the load guard directly behind the operator station (A)
- Tie-down bars on either side of the cargo box (B)
- Six points on the underside of the cargo box frame (circled)
CONVERTING DELUXE CARGO BOX TO A FLAT BED
The deluxe cargo box easily converts to a flat bed. The flatbed configuration allows loading larger cargo.
Optional accessories for the deluxe cargo box include:
- Factory-installed brake and taillight with protector
- Factory-installed spray-in liner (not shown)
- Improves skid resistance and surface abrasion protection
- Cargo box bed mat
- Cargo box power lift
CAUTION: Carrying extra-long cargo that extends beyond the box can adversely affect stability.
Dual A-arm front and rear suspension provides a smooth ride over challenging terrain and excellent hauling characteristics
To complement the most capable frame available in a high-performance utility vehicle, the XUV is equipped with four-wheel independent suspension.
A dual A-arm front and rear suspension provides a smooth ride over challenging terrain and excellent hauling characteristics.
The entire suspension system has been optimized to handle no cargo to maximum cargo without compromising ride quality or vehicle stability.
DUAL A-ARM FRONT SUSPENSION FEATURES INCLUDE:
203.2 mm (8 in.) of travel provides ample compression and wheel extension, which keep all four wheels on the ground for superior traction and vehicle control
17.5-mm (0.6875-in.) solid anti-roll bar with fully rubber isolated connecting links and pivots for minimal vehicle body roll and quiet operation
Heavy-duty, nodular cast-iron knuckles to support the strut, constant-velocity (CV) shaft, and wheel
Maintenance-free rubber torsional A-arm pivots for long life and quiet operation
CV shaft protection from sticks that may puncture the rubber boot
Dual A-arm independent rear suspension features include:
Unequal length, dual A-arm construction for superior wheel control and travel
228.6 mm (9 in.) of total travel provides ample compression and wheel extension, which keep all four wheels on the ground for superior traction, excellent ride quality, and vehicle control
Coil-over shocks absorb the most demanding terrain
A-arms made from square/rectangular tubing reduce weight while remaining rigid
Heavy-duty, nodular cast-iron uprights support wheel loads with a double row of ball bearings
CV driveshaft protection from sticks that may puncture the rubber boot
Rear sway bar for lateral stability
Powerful diesel engine delivers superb starting, idling, and throttle response
The machine is powered by an 854-cc (52.1-cu in.), 3-cylinder, liquid-cooled, four-cycle diesel engine. It produces 5.1 kgm (36.9 lb-ft) of torque at 2400 rpm.
The advanced engine delivers superb starting, idling, and throttle response during operation. With minimal noise vibration and harshness (NVH), the XUV855 is the smoothest and quietest running diesel in its class.
The engine offers the following performance and reliability features:
Indirect injection diesel with glow plugs ensures fast starts in cold temperatures
30.6 kW (22.8 hp*) at 2400 rpm
Overhead valve design for greater efficiency and fuel economy
Spin-on oil filter for easy servicing
Quiet operation through the entire rpm range
High-flow water pump and optimized water jackets maintain a steady operating temperature and eliminate hot spots
Full-pressure lubrication system
In-line mechanical fuel pump
Five-point, rubber isolated for quiet operation and minimal vibration
Dry replaceable dual-element air cleaner with remote intake and a restriction indicator
See-through coolant recovery tank permits the operator to check the coolant level without removing the radiator cap
* The engine horsepower information is provided by the engine manufacturer to be used for comparison purposes only. The actual operating horsepower will be less.